Saturday, March 12, 2011

WOMEN GET SHAFTED ... AGAIN

I hate this time of the tennis season. I really do. Most tennis watchers are really happy about this time of the year. They get to see the top players playing in the two big Masters tournaments for the men and the Premier events for the women. Me, I get pissed because while these two big events are going on coverage of the women is always either minimal or basically non-existent.

This morning the first thing I did was check the usual streaming sites. Lo and behold, we have 10 matches scheduled for today. All of those matches are men’s matches. Of course, the next thing I did was go to the schedule for today’s play. A former No.1 in Dinara Safina, struggling to come back from a serious back injury is the first match up on Stadium Court. The next match is Del Potro, the 2009 US Open champion. He is also coming back from injury (wrist). The next match after Del Potro on Stadium Court is the current No. 1 on the women’s side, Caroline Wozniacki.

I have Tennis Channel and their coverage commences at 2:00 EST. I am hoping that their first match will be that of Dinara Safina, but for some reason, I am not holding my breath on that one.

I do not like these combined events. I really don’t. I think the women get shafted when it comes to television coverage as more emphasis seems to be placed on giving as much exposure as possible to the men’s side of the tournament, rather than the women.

I am hoping that I am wrong and that Tennis Channel and ESPN3 will provide coverage of the various women’s matches happening around Indian Wells and later this month, Miami, but if previous experience is anything to go by, I am thinking the women will get shafted once more.

No comments: